Re: Battery performance predictor

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 11:55:06AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Is there a good utility out there to predict the remaining
> running/charging time of my battery?
>
> For the "remaining runtime" most of the utilities out there seem to just
> divide the remaining capacity by the current power usage, which doesn't
> account for the fact that the current power usage may not be
> representative of the longer-term average (e.g. my power usage may
> switch regularly between 6W while editing a file (i.e. mostly idle) and
> 15W while processing the result, neither of which is representative of
> the longer term average which may be something like 10W).
>
> So a good utility would need to monitor/learn your "typical" average usage,
> and remember it in some kind of file.
>
> For the "remaining charge time" the problem is fundamentally similar,
> tho details are quite different:
> - the charging rate changes over time (as the battery gets full, it
>   charges more slowly).  So dividing the missing charge by the current
>   rate is not a good predictor (as is often done).
> - the charging rate may also depend on the computer's own power usage
>   (e.g. the sum of the power's own use and the battery's charging use
>   may be bound by the power adapter's max power output).
> - sometimes reaching 100% of charge takes a long time, but reaching
>   (say) 90% is much faster.
> So for the "remaining charge time" I might like to have a more detailed
> info, telling me (for example):
> - how much time remains before I get to 90% while I keep using the machine
> - how much time remains before I get to 90% if I put it to sleep
> - how much time remains before I get to 100% while I keep using the machine
> - how much time remains before I get to 100% if I put it to sleep
> And again, this info usually can't be just computed from current data,
> it instead needs to be learned by monitoring the system's behavior
> over time.

There's a great utility called "ibam" which pays attention to
the historical performance of your battery. The main benefit is if your
battery is dying and the last 10 or 20% only lasts a couple of
minutes, then the adjusted runtime takes this into account.

The package needs a bit of love (the best way to run it is to use the
gkrellm plugin - see bug 260530) but it might suit you.