Re: "upgrade" versus "update".

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 11:53 AM,  <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:
> I get that "dist-upgrade" is the replacement of a distribution
> by the subsequent distribution.  Replacement of wheezy by jessie
> for example.  What is meant by "upgrade"?  In many places it
> appears to be synonymous with update.
>
> For example, googling "site:debian.org update upgrade" yields,
> https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades
> "Running unattended-upgrades:
> Its[sic] purpose is to keep the computer current with the latest security
> (and other) updates automatically."

When it comes to apt-get, the documentation is equally applicable to
all distributions based off of debian. So there is no point of
restricting your google searches to site:debian.org .

Here is what I found by googling for "apt-get upgrade vs update" and
the first hit http://askubuntu.com/questions/94102/what-is-the-difference-between-apt-get-update-and-upgrade
provides the answer to your question.

Also here are the relevant sections in the man page

$ man apt-get
       update
           update is used to resynchronize the package index files
from their sources. The indexes of available packages are fetched from
the location(s) specified in
           /etc/apt/sources.list. For example, when using a Debian
archive, this command retrieves and scans the Packages.gz files, so
that information about new and updated
           packages is available. An update should always be performed
before an upgrade or dist-upgrade. Please be aware that the overall
progress meter will be incorrect as
           the size of the package files cannot be known in advance.

       upgrade
           upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all
packages currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated
in /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages
           currently installed with new versions available are
retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed
packages removed, or packages not
           already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of
currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without changing
the install status of another
           package will be left at their current version. An update
must be performed first so that apt-get knows that new versions of
packages are available.

hope that helps
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi | http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Blog