Re: How can I force a full fsck on a remote system at next reboot?

On 03/12/2015 02:06 PM, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
* David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> [2015-03-12 11:04 -0500]:

Quoting Jape Person (japers@comcast.net):

[...]

Hi, Elimar.

So, are you suggesting that this shutdown function (-F, for forcing
fsck at boot) is available with the shutdown command if I switch
from systemd-sysv to sysvinit, or that it is available regardless of
init system in Sid?

Indeed, yes.

If you run systemd, halt, poweroff, reboot and shutdown are all links
to systemctl. No -F option.

If you run sysvinit, you should have package sysvinit-core installed,
wherein halt (poweroff, reboot) and shutdown are binaries. Their
manpages indicate support for -F.

Thats correct

I can't check whether it then actually works because this laptop is
running systemd; though I may be reverting for reasons that I might
outline in a different thread, perhaps "No feedback from systemd ..."

It runs perfect here.

Elimar

Thanks for that confirmation, Elimar.

Since I filed a bug report against initramfs-tools I'll probably wait to see what happens with that. But if that turns out to be a wontfix, or if I can't find a convenient workaround, this will be a sort of final straw for me in getting me to return to sysvinit.

Overall, I'd say my experience with systemd-sysv has been decent, but I'd have to admit that the changes in features and functionality has, overall, not been particularly beneficial to me. The annoying quirks like lack of progress indications by various utilities that mentioned by others in the "no feedback" thread and the extra effort I've had to expend to get some things to just work at all are not a huge set of problems. But they are probably going to be enough to send me back to the old init system. I'm kind of particular about how I use my systems, and that's being interfered with.

Best,
JP