Re: Jessie sufficiently stable for general use?

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 18:26:46 -0700
Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> On a Sid Unstable system there are a lot of transitions.  Running
> dist-upgrade only mostly works but sometimes the transitions and other
> noise confuse APT and it wants to take a different path than we want
> it to take.  Such as to remove everything.  Running upgrade first
> upgrades everything that can be upgraded without removing anything or
> adding anything.  Then the subsequent dist-upgrade has a simpler
> solution to find and will usually do the right thing.

I would add here that a Sid system which is only occasionally upgraded
can present aptitude with a serious problem, which can hang it for
hours (I lost patience, but it might have succeeded in the end) so I'd
recommend apt-get in this situation.

--
Joe