Re: My Friends Make Fun of My UI

On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 01:22:50PM +0100, Wilko Fokken wrote:
> What I am mostly missing so far under Xfce, compared to Icewm, is a toolbar
> placed at the BOTTOM of the screen. Using varifocal glasses, I have to strain
> my neck badly in order to focus the Xfce toolbar at the TOP of the screen
> through the LOWER area of my glasses.

You can either move the toolbar or create a second one at the
bottom. Right click in an empty area of the toolbar (XFCE calls
it a panel) and you should see options.

> The second shortcoming of Xfce is (at least by it's defaults) that little
> attention seems to have been given to the convenient possibilties of the
> keyboard; once your fingers know their handling, they operate independently
> of your brain, and you can focus on your problems instead of being
> permanently distracted by those positioning demands of your mouse.

There's a shortcut-key editor with quite a lot of control; no,
it's not fully set up by default.

> Another exemplary feature of Icewm that I would like to find again under
> Xfce, are those 3 tiny 5mm-squares(!) placed next to the digital clock
> into the toolbar, showing permanently the main activities of the system,
> each using specially coloured top-down rsp. bottom-up indexes:
>
> Square One shows the load of CPU, HDD and RAM.
>
> Square Two shows (if active) both, the sending and receiving load of LAN.
>
> Square Three shows (if active) both, the sending and receiving load of WAN
> (including modem activities).
>
> Alltogether, they use up just 2 cm of the toolbar, yet giving instantly
> a detailed insight of all important system activities - and problems.

If you add the system monitors to a panel, you'll discover that
right-clicking on them allows a bit of configurability,
including removing labels and making things smaller. Might not
be exactly what you want, but it might be close enough.

-dsr-