Re: My Friends Make Fun of My UI

Quoting Doug (dmcgarrett@optonline.net):
> On 03/04/2015 04:03 PM, Stephen R Guglielmo wrote:
> >Hi list,
> >
> >I use LXDE on my Jessie laptop. I chose this desktop environment
> >because I don't want a lot of "stuff" on my system. Everything there is
> >essentially installed by me. I have Iceweasel, Claws-Mail, another GUI
> >program or two, but that's it. Everything else, I do in a terminal. I
> >even use Iceweasel to open the occasional PDF I come across
> >(eliminating the need for another PDF viewer). I suppose I'm a
> >minimalist in this sense.
> >
> >I would like to upgrade to Gnome so my desktop looks/feels a bit nicer
> >and gain a few extra features I'm missing in LXDE. However, I don't
> >want all the "stuff" that normally comes with Gnome.
> >
> >I have no use for:
> >-GUI login screen/session manager
> >-NetworkManager
> >-GUI package manager
> >-GUI text editor
> >-Chat/Contacts/Keyring manager
> >-Photo manager
> >....I think you get the idea by now.
> >
> >I did a bit of reading and would prefer the Gnome "Classic" interface.
> >Is there a way to install this type of "minimal" gnome without breaking
> >it too much? Is it even possible to do, or does it all depend on one
> >another?
> >
> I think maybe you need to look into some other distros, I think there are still
> a couple that rely mostly on command-line. What is Slackware doing lately?
> Or Scientific Linux? You could Google for command-line Linux or something like that.
> I think BCD is also kind of minimal, but when I tried to run it dual-booted,
> it didn't seem to like to share filesystems--or something. I never got it to work.

Perhaps you skipped the first paragraph?

Anyway, I'm hard pushed to think of GUIs I use beyond Iceweasel and
Chromium, xpdf, xzgv, audacious and pavucontrol (which I find
confusing). I use mutt, wicd, emacs, and things like that, on a bunch
of xterms under fvwm.

I suppose I wonder what I'm missing in these desktops that people talk
about. But I'm afraid that my laptop would struggle to run any of
them. I've found that jessie (upgraded, not a clean installation)
runs a whole lot slower that wheezy does. The symptom is that it
thrashes the disk mercilessly, and I know it's not the fastest disk
(in wheezy, you notice how everything runs almost instantly the second
time, ie now that it's cached in memory). For example, if you login
immediately on booting jessie, it takes ten seconds to just spit out
the Password: prompt and 30 seconds or more to get through .bashrc.

Still, I think that'll be the subject of a separate posting when I've
got round to doing a fresh install. Just tell me what I'm missing, and
what you are, Stephen.

Cheers,
David.