Re: Cheap way to track disk usage?

On 04/03/15 09:30, Don Armstrong wrote:
On Tue, 03 Mar 2015, Jacek Politowski wrote:
On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 08:29:53PM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:

I can run du, but that takes ages, and has a performance impact.

With "idle" I/O scheduler class (set with ionice) does it still have
a big performance impact?

This is basically what I do myself; I run 'nice -n 19 ionice -c 3 du -a;'
occasionally and feed the output into sort -n.

Granted, this is only on about 1T of data, but the number of files are
probably similar.

Yep, this looks like the way to go - either with ncdu (if I can build it for lenny) or du + xdu.

Around 6 million files, FWIW (well, including directories, based on find |wc -l

It takes about 9-10 minutes to run a du.

Richard