Keyboard layouts in GNOME3 on Debian Jessie

Hi folks
  I have tow rather fresh (about 3 weeks old) Debian 8 installations:
one on a desktop system and one on a Lenovo T440s. On both systems a US
keyboard is used. Although the US keyboards are great for writing code,
I sometimes have to write German on both machines. Thus, I was quite
happy to find a rather interesting layout on the desktop system

German (US keyboard layout with German letters)

available in the "Region and Language" settings of GNOME 3. Surprisingly
I could not find this layout on the Laptop installation.
Does anyone of you have an idea which package I am missing on the laptop
system?
I could not find a relevant difference between the two installations.

best regards
  Eugen