Re: Okular vs printer, okular 1, printer 0

On Wed 25 Feb 2015 at 09:54:04 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 February 2015 04:46:46 Brian wrote:
> >
> > The duplex facilities are not available for any application using the
> > GTK or Qt print dialogues because CUPS has not provided information
> > about them.
> >
> > CUPS has not provided information about them them because it gets its
> > information from the Duplex option in the PPD file. The brother PPD does
> > not provide such an option. There is no bug.
>
> I'll argue that point, something has changed between wheezy and lucid that is
> now causing the bug.

You can dispute it as much as you want but I am sitting in front of a
machine running ubuntu-10.04.4-desktop-i386 with a print queue set up
for an HL-3170CDW with Brother's packages. The GTK print dialogue shows
Two-sided printing as "Not available". Does your setup show something
different?

> Yes it (the Brother PPD, read it, attached if the server will pass it) does
> AND cups CAN select it, so why cannot the rest of the system make use of it?
>
> Question:  How can I show this dialogue interchange between cups and the GTK
> or Qt print dialogs?

You have described the result of the interchange below.

> A Clue and the only one I have ATM:
> These options become unghosted and selectable in both of the print dialogs IF
> the two characters 'BR' are removed from all those strings in the Brother
> ppd.  But then, despite being able to select them in the print dialogs, it
> still does  _not_ work.  BTDT about 3 times now.  So that 'patch' is
> incomplete because the printer does not (apparently) understand it with the
> BR's removed.  It did work, has worked for about 2 years now, and the
> firmware in the printer has not been changed after the initial reload two
> years ago.
>
> > The inability to print in duplex is not related to the greying-out in
> > the print dialogues.

You didn't comment on this but I'll add that the greying-out is a
red herring (as is the invoking of poppler) as far as the cause of your
problem with duplex printing is concerned.