Re: Okular vs printer, okular 1, printer 0

On Mon 23 Feb 2015 at 16:26:59 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > On Monday, February 23, 2015 10:20:38 AM Brian wrote:
>
> > > The duplex section of the PPD has
> > >
> > >   *%=== BRDuplex ================================
> > >   *OpenUI *BRDuplex/Two-Sided: PickOne
> > >   *OrderDependency: 25 AnySetup *BRDuplex
> > >   *BRDefaultDuplex: None
> > >   *BRDuplex DuplexTumble/Short-Edge Binding: "          "
> > >   *BRDuplex DuplexNoTumble/Long-Edge Binding: "          "
> > >   *BRDuplex None/Off: "          "
> > >   *CloseUI: *BRDuplex
> > >
> > > When all instances of "BR" are removed and CUPS restarted the options
> > > for Two-sided in Page Setup become available in evince and iceweasel.
> > > Only you can test whether this leads to the desired printing outcome,
>
> This however, had no effect on okular, duplex functions are ghosted and
> unavailable.  Repeated it twice to make sure, restarting everything
> including okular.  Or maybe I miss-understood and you are removeing the
> characters 'BR' only.  By golly, that does unghost that option in okular.

Yes, the two characters only. "BR" refers to BR-Script, Brother's
PostScript emulation. My hopes that this would work were not high,
partly because I cannot believe Brother doesn't know how to construct a
PPD and partly because I do not like messing with them.

> But it doesn't make it work, so I now have 4 copies of an 88 page manual,
> printed single sided.  Frustrated is not an adequate description here, but
> at least its printable. :(

Why not print a page range?

Anyway, time for Plan B.

Your printer understands PCL, so we could ditch BR-Script and the
Brother drivers.

You want Administration at localhost:631; presumably your printer will
be detected with "Find New Printers" or "Add Printer". When you get to
the page for choosing a PPD select "Generic" in the Make: section. You
have a large choice of PCL PPDs; I'd suggest Foomatic/pxlcolor. Set
double-sided printing on the next page and check it is operative with

  lpoption -p <print_queue_name> -l

Now print a page range with

  lp -d <print_queue_name> -o page-ranges=1-4

Try with okular and iceweasel too. I am rather more confident that this
should work for you.