Re: Question about GRUB recovery using Debian 7.x LiveCD

On Fri 20 Feb 2015 at 16:26:03 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> I have searched and found
> http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/776643-how-to-rescue-a-non-booting-grub-2-on-linux/
>
> and have done ls, that shows 13 GPT partitions, of which, I know (or
> believe)  that 3 are operating system installations partitions, so I
> apparently need to do an ls on each partition, to find which are the
> operating system partitions, then, I believe, enable one of the Linux
> partitions, using GRUB, then, boot into that partition, then, run, as
> root (so it would need to be the Debian partition, I think),
> # update-grub
> which would, I hope, restore GRUB as the multiple OS bootloader.

I would be inclined to follow the advice given by Bob Proulx and either
use a netinst image in rescue mode or boot with the 7.60 LXDE LiveCD.

However, what you have written above is essentially along the right
lines. If you continue with it you need to identify the partition with
Debian on it. That can be done with

  cat (disk,partition)/etc/issue

or by looking at what is in (disk,partition)/home.

In addition to update-grub I'd also be prepared to reinstall GRUB with
'grub-install /dev/sda'.