Re: about boot manager

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 08:10:57AM +0800, Jack Chuge wrote:
> If neither GRUB nor LILO installed along a core Debian system into a virtual
> machine, how does it start from booting? I've only seen a prompt cursor
> displaying still there the black screen.

It depends on the virtual machine. If your virtual machine is
virtualising a full PC, then it will provide a virtual BIOS which will
expect to hand over control to a boot loader.

Some VMs, though, allow you to boot directly to a kernel. That is,
because they have the luxury of running on a full host machine, there's
space for all the logic necessary to find and set up a kernel.
Basically, the boot loader is built into the VM. You simply tell the VM
"boot from /boot/vmlinuz-3.14.2" and you skip a stage.

Further, there are "containerisation" types of virtualisation. In these,
the guest "machine" doesn't have a kernel at all. The host machine's
kernel runs everything and the guest machine's processes are just
another subset of the host processes. LXC uses this sort of
virtualisation. In these sort, you don't boot the machine at all, you
just start processes.