Re: incomplete update(?) trashed my system

Quoting Charles Blair (c-blair@illinois.edu):
> > Well, the idea outlined above depended on adding a new user to
> > take over the role of running things that shouldn't be run as
> > root. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough in the previous
> > post to that quoted, not knowing that you were going to attempt
> > to merge things with a preexisting user.
>
>    My mistake.  I hope I got lucky.  For better or worse, I've
> routinely been using the su command after logging in, although
> I've become aware that I should stop doing that.
>
> > Take a look at ls -l /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/
> > The permissions should be
> > -rwsr-xr-- 1 root messagebus [...] dbus-daemon-launch-helper
> > Have they changed, and to what?
>
>    The permissions are -rwxr-xr-x

Hmm. Unless you have a typescript of the changes you made, I'm not
sure you can tell how that came about, and whether any other files
have been "adjusted".

>    I'm guessing I need to type (as super-user)
> chmod u+s dbus*per

Looking more carefully, there should be no execute permission for
others (o-x). ls -l again after making any change.

> and chmod a=100 dbus*per

That contradicts the previous command, setting it to --x--x--x
instead. Perhaps you're trying to set ownership? (which you didn't
display). In which case the command is chown, and the desired
ownership is root.messagebus but the group ownership *number* (GID)
could be anything around 1xx because it varies from installation to
installation. *Your* GID will be in /etc/group like so:
messagebus:x:105:
(which is mine). So ls -ln gives *ME*
-rwsr-xr-- 1 0 105 ... dbus-daemon-launch-helper

Cheers,
David.