Re: Re: incomplete update(?) trashed my system

> Well, the idea outlined above depended on adding a new user to
> take over the role of running things that shouldn't be run as
> root. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough in the previous
> post to that quoted, not knowing that you were going to attempt
> to merge things with a preexisting user.

   My mistake.  I hope I got lucky.  For better or worse, I've
routinely been using the su command after logging in, although
I've become aware that I should stop doing that.

> Take a look at ls -l /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/
> The permissions should be
> -rwsr-xr-- 1 root messagebus [...] dbus-daemon-launch-helper
> Have they changed, and to what?

   The permissions are -rwxr-xr-x

   I'm guessing I need to type (as super-user)
chmod u+s dbus*per
and chmod a=100 dbus*per

but my numerous mistakes have led me to wait before
trying further experiments.

Thanks as always!