Re: Grub cannot find the disk after installation completes

Quoting Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org>:

Brian a écrit :

On Sat 14 Feb 2015 at 15:54:26 +0000, Chris Fisichella wrote:

grub rescue> ls

returns a single blank line.

Which dowsn't look very healthy. GRUB doesn't see any disks.
Indeed. To be honest, I don't even see how this can possibly happen and
how to fix it.

Obviously GRUB boot image (stored in the MBR) was able to load GRUB core
image (stored in the gap between the MBR and the first partition) so it
can see the disk, otherwise the rescue shell would not start. Even if
GRUB core image was wrongly built without support for any partition
table format, I think 'ls' would at least display the raw disk (hd0).

Chris, can you install the disk into another PC and try to boot it ?

Hi Pascal,

That disk came from a working Debian system. 6.0.6. I think the disk is working fine. BIOS sees it, the installer sees it. I can see it when I use the rescue option of the first DVD.

The computer's previous storage setting for the drive was RAID. I remember reading in several places to make sure you have an appropriate driver. For whatever reason, changing from RAID to Native IDE emulation (it's a SATA drive) seems to make grub work better. The BIOS documentation for this HP dc5850 says to "use this mode for "normal" (non-RAID) configurations."

When I rebooted after making that BIOS change (i.e., enabling Native IDE mode), I got a grub prompt:

grub>

I think that is because I enabled it somewhere when I was monkeying around in /etc/grub.d/ and /etc/default/grub. I do remember doing that, vaguely. Three days ago.

I should have played with that prompt a little bit more. As soon as I saw it, though, I started a fresh install.

Stay tuned...Debian is installing as we speak. "retrieving file 822 of 842", 22%. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Chris