Re: Grub cannot find the disk after installation completes

Quoting Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org>:

Chris Fisichella a écrit :

I'm trying to install 7.8.0-AMD64  on an HP dc5850. The install went
fine. After it asked me to remove the DVD so it could reboot, Grub loads
and reports:

error: no such disk

Before displaying the boot menu or after starting a boot entry ?

I booted into rescue mode using DVD 1, went to a shell and ran:
# fdisk -l /dev/sda
                 boot     ....                            System
/dev/sda1   *                                           Linux
/dev/sda2                                               Extended
/dev/sda5                                               Linux LVM

I wanted to look at grub.cfg so I typed:
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

cd mnt/grub
nano grub.cfg

Everything looks fine. It does say:
set root='(hd0,msdos1)'

Does grub start a rescue shell ? If yes, what is the output of "ls" and
what does "set" display about prefix= and root= variables ?

Hi Pascal,

error: no such disk is before the boot menu.

I am then dumped into
grub rescue>
grub rescue> ls

returns a single blank line.

grub rescue>set
prefix=(hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub
root=hd0,msdos1
grub rescue>

help-grub@gnu.org is recommending:
"device.map is irrelevant when booting although it could cause incorrect
image to be generated. Best is to remove it, it is not needed by grub2
under normal conditions.

Most likely you have old grub image on disk that refers to filesystem
that is no more present. You need to reinstall grub from rescue CD.
Boot with any live media, mount /dev/sda1 and run grub-install, like

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
chroot /mnt
grub-install /dev/sda

As I said better is to remove device.map before running grub-install

May Debian has some specific instructions how to recover bootloader in
which case you better ask them. Also above will make grub2 primary
bootloader; if you dual-boot you may want to install grub on partition."

I need to debianize those mount commands.

Thanks for responding. Debian usually goes on quite smoothly. This is
new for me.
Chris