Re: Grub cannot find the disk after installation completes

Quoting Chris Fisichella <chris@communityrenewables.com>:

Quoting Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>:

On Sat 14 Feb 2015 at 15:54:26 +0000, Chris Fisichella wrote:

Quoting Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org>:

Does grub start a rescue shell ? If yes, what is the output of "ls" and
what does "set" display about prefix= and root= variables ?

grub rescue>
grub rescue> ls

returns a single blank line.

Which dowsn't look very healthy. GRUB doesn't see any disks.

help-grub@gnu.org is recommending:

[Snip some quoted text]

May Debian has some specific instructions how to recover bootloader in
which case you better ask them. Also above will make grub2 primary
bootloader; if you dual-boot you may want to install grub on partition."

I'd use a Debian netinst image in rescue mode and reinstall GRUB to the

We're thinking along the same lines. I tried the DVD rescue mode to
reinstall GRUB. I did not think to use the netinst image. I don't
know what difference that would make, however. Anyway, it did not
help.

I found the grub-install program the help-grub mailing list
suggested. They also suggested to stay close to the distribution, so
I'll let you all know what I did if I get this install to work.

I'm going to boot with the first DVD and go to rescue mode. I have
successfully mounted the disk. I can see all the files. I just don't
know why Grub can't see them. The install disk can see them, too,
obviously, because it installed the files. I think this is a grub
config issue. Just a guess, though. I wish I could get a little
farther along in the boot sequence so I could look at the dmesg
output.

Thanks, Brian.

Chris

Using the BIOS to emulate Native Mode IDE is making the machine behave
better. I at least reached a
grub>
prompt. So, I think it found the disk. Finally. :) I'm going to do a
fresh install set things up the way I normally do and I'll post later
if it is successful.