Re: Changing the install path of a web package

On 2/13/15, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:

> Generally speaking, packages shouldn't be installing to /var/www either,
> they should be installing to /usr/share or similar.
>
> Personally, I'd just copy the files if I was going to modify themq,
> and/or use Directory/Location directives in the apache configuration
> files to avoid having multiple copies if I wasn't. [There's no real need
> to worry about backing the files up if you don't modify them, as you can
> always just reinstall the package to get them back.]

In line with what I'm "hearing" Don say, have you tried just letting
it have its head so it installs where it wants to and then test it to
see if it functions properly?

I've played with Apache and similar and am just thinking... That all
worked for me when things were all installed in their intended default
locations... like where they fall under /usr/bin and such...

If you install as root and just let it go where it's defaulted by
developers to land, you're leaning more towards protecting your setup.
That's not saying you or anyone else trying to do what you're doing
doesn't know what they're doing, but at least you're just keeping
another (default) protective layer between your vital functions and
intruders....

Did that come out right at all, or, if not, can someone tweak where
what I'm trying to say actually gets said..?

I used to be super bullheaded about how I set up my systems.. Wasted a
LOT of unnecessary, unrecoverable time doing so.. I don't to do that
anymore. Well, not much anyway. Developers set things up the way they
are for a reason, one primary one being the security of our systems
overall.. :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey