Re: Changing the install path of a web package

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015, Tim Burns wrote:
> I moved to debian from another distro for stability reasons.
>
> I prefer to keep my web accessible files in /srv/www rather than
> /var/www, as I back up /srv and not /var. If I have to I have to.
>
> I'm installing owncloud, and can't figure out how I can make it
> install where I want it. I could copy it over or , but then updating
> is broken via aptitude. Is there a way to do this?

Generally speaking, packages shouldn't be installing to /var/www either,
they should be installing to /usr/share or similar.

Personally, I'd just copy the files if I was going to modify themq,
and/or use Directory/Location directives in the apache configuration
files to avoid having multiple copies if I wasn't. [There's no real need
to worry about backing the files up if you don't modify them, as you can
always just reinstall the package to get them back.]

Vimes hated and despised the privileges of rank, but they had this to
be said for them: At least they meant that you could hate and despise
them in comfort.
 -- Terry Pratchett _The Fifth Elephant_ p111