Re: mozilla / iceweasel and mailto: links

On 2015-02-13, Charles Blair <c-blair@illinois.edu> wrote:
> I tinkered with "Preferences/Applications".  Did not
> do anything about a special kind of Preference.  If
> this message gets posted, the thing worked :)
>
>    If so, thanks!

I never click on those mailto links myself, but I followed my own advice
for once and chose alpine as my mail client ('cause it's my main mail client)
from the drop down menu (where it had defaulted to gmail?), clicked on a
mailto link and ... it didn't work.  Nothing.

This must illustrate an ironic principle of which I am
currently unaware.

But how would or does "it" know to open a terminal if you don't use
a "wrapper script" like Brian suggested?  Or am I missing something?
Why am I seeing so many mutt users in forums and elsewhere using this
kind of script?

Oh!! I finally took a look at claws-mail and realized that it is *not* a
text-based mail client as I had assumed for reasons I am unable to
explain.

So the little wrapper script must only be necessary for text-based
clients that need a terminal to come alive in (I think).

Anyhow over and out.

--

“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class
is running the country.” – Kurt Vonnegut