Re: about installing Java

On 2/12/15, Cindy-Sue Causey <butterflybytes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/12/15, Chris Fisichella <chris@communityrenewables.com> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.webupd8.org/2014/03/how-to-install-oracle-java-8-in-debian.html
>>
>> They say to run the following:
>> <code>
>> su -
>> echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty
>> main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
>> echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty
>> main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
>> apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys
>> EEA14886
>> apt-get update
>> apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
>> exit
>> </code>
>>

> Don't do anything for a few minutes if you haven't already. Trusty
> *sounds like* Ubuntu. If you're using Ubuntu then cool, personal
> *_CHOICE_* and you're good to go, but If you're using Debian from
> Debian.org, you start mixing things in together. It's both the name
> "Trusty" and that... ppa thing that is throwing up the flags for me.
>
> I'm going to try to *quickly* look this up. If someone else sees this
> before I get back, maybe they could confirm or diss me on it that I'm
> well meaning but on the wrong track. :))
>
> What I'm looking at is to take Chris' find and just replace it with a
> Debian repository.. :)

Now in hindsight, one logical question to ask is.. what do you need
your java to do? Just for surfing and for developing or...? That kind
of thing...

Now to what I found... Definitely out of my element here, but some
things are seeming familiar. There's the whole doing Debian and only
Debian if possible *IF* that is your style. For that, I've seen
references to openjdk-*-* packages. The reason I can tell you that
with confidence is because I just tried:

$ apt-cache search java

and several packages beginning with "openjdk" came back in that
command's MASSIVE output. I only use one single package repository
(source) right now so that tells me its all Debian that the "apt-cache
search" query is kicking back.

Just as example, I ran what I can find installed in my own setup right
now. That's "openjdk-7-jre". I performed the following command
(because I know it will tell me at least a little about that package):

$ dpkg -s openjdk-7-jre

Part of that command's (very cool) output says:

"Provides: java-runtime, java2-runtime, java5-runtime, java6-runtime,
java7-runtime"

Everyone's needs differ so that might not fit exactly what you're
looking for, BUT it does contain the word "java" a few times. Maybe
that will at least help you narrow down what you're looking for WHILE
still being able to stay truer specifically to actual Debian.

And that's, again, *IF* Debian is in fact what you have installed as
your operating system and not one of its many derivatives/offshoots
such as Ubuntu. If you *are* working out of a derivative (such as
Ubuntu), you do need to see what that derivative offers in its own
repositories because you never know what might have been changed to
function properly. Speaking firsthand, a system's stability begins
spiraling downward as soon as you (innocently) start picking from too
many different systems' resources.

Hope that helps at least a little.. :)

Cindy :)

PS packages.debian.org is a smarty pants. In response to my search
query on "java", it said: "Your keyword was too generic," to which I
most respectfully reply......

"Byte me."

--
Cindy-Sue Causey