Re: about installing Java

On 2/12/15, Chris Fisichella <chris@communityrenewables.com> wrote:
> Quoting Jack Chuge <zhuge.jack@gmail.com>:
>
>> I want to install the latest version of Java on my debian desktop. Is
>> there any quick way like using a terminal command? Though, I think
>> debian is the most stable Linux distro I've ever used so far, on the
>> other hand, I'm a newby to it. Any support is appreciated.
>> --
>> I like hk.politics. ^_^
>
> This is hardly a let-me-google-this-for-you question. But, I did a
> little googling and arrived at this website which is what I would use
> if I wanted the latest Java on my machine:
>
> http://www.webupd8.org/2014/03/how-to-install-oracle-java-8-in-debian.html
>
> They say to run the following:
> <code>
> su -
> echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty
> main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
> echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty
> main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
> apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys EEA14886
> apt-get update
> apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
> exit
> </code>
>
> I hope you have root access to your machine. The instructions imply its
> use.

Don't do anything for a few minutes if you haven't already. Trusty
*sounds like* Ubuntu. If you're using Ubuntu then cool, personal
*_CHOICE_* and you're good to go, but If you're using Debian from
Debian.org, you start mixing things in together. It's both the name
"Trusty" and that... ppa thing that is throwing up the flags for me.

I'm going to try to *quickly* look this up. If someone else sees this
before I get back, maybe they could confirm or diss me on it that I'm
well meaning but on the wrong track. :))

What I'm looking at is to take Chris' find and just replace it with a
Debian repository.. :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey