Re: Upgrading Iceweasel; Other Packages from Experimental?

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:38:28 -0500
Stephen R Guglielmo <srguglielmo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found the Debian Mozilla team webpage[1], which tells you how to get
> a more recent version of iceweasel. I am running testing/jessie, and
> want the release version of Iceweasel. Thus, I added the two
> corresponding lines to my /etc/apt/sources.list. When I synced the
> package index in apt, I suddenly had many package upgrades. I didn't
> want this, I wanted my system to run all testing/jessie packages, with
> only Iceweasel upgraded. Thus, I removed one line from my
> /etc/apt/sources.list and now have the following:
>
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing-updates main contrib
> non-free deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib
> non-free deb http://cdn.debian.net/debian experimental main
>
> Following the instructions, I installed Iceweasel with the -t option
> to pin it from the 'experimental' repository. However, now that I've
> installed some more software, I've noticed that a few packages are
> also being installed from experimental, which is not what I want.
>
> Is there a way to pin everything from the experimental repository to
> be a low priority? I only want an updated Iceweasel and wish to avoid
> any dependency problems in the future.
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1] http://mozilla.debian.net/

Hi list,

Just updating my own thread with the solution. I ended up following the
instructions on http://mozilla.debian.net verbatim (previously I only
added the 'experimental' repo line), then adding the following to
my /etc/apt/preferences file:

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 1

This solved the problem of apt automatically trying to upgrade packages
to unstable or experimental. I manually installed Iceweasel using the
"-t experimental" flag to pin it. This solution seems to be working
fine!