Re: Recommendations for a AMD64 Jessie xfce/kde cd

On 02/09/2015 03:37 AM, Ric Moore wrote:
On 02/08/2015 09:42 PM, Jape Person wrote:

Certainly there will be corner cases where folks get bitten --
especially if they've done a lot of customization of the old init system
before doing the upgrade. But I imagine most folks will just hit the
buttons and go on about their business.

Or maybe I'm just unbelievably lucky. My wife says so.

You were! But, for those corner cases, like mine, it can get
mind-boggling. To recommend this to a new user, might not be a good
idea. I've been at it since the days of Slackware install via a pile of
floppies. As noted previously, there will be a proper upgrade installer
released when Jessie is officially stable. That would be far better.
Until then, I would suggest a FULL backup, have an install medium on
hand (Just In Case) and then roll the dice and see what happens.

Certainly. My standard advice always includes full backup and having install images prepared. It also includes telling the user to prepare her/his frame of mind for a long process of playing with the bits and pieces in case of failure (if so inclined) and going through the installation. I also always recommend for all but the most incurious using the expert install method from a net inst image. It seems to make installations a nice learning experience for newcomers.

If it does blow up, you have an immediate fall back. Kinda like when I
had my below-the-knee amputation in October, I didn't count on having a
heart attack 12 hours later. Luckily, I was already in the hospital, got
rebooted and had nurses handy to clean up my messes afterwards!
<cackles> Ric

Maybe there are enough medical system users on this list that we could work together to get group rates. This week I get to do the Ammonia and FDG PET scans, cardiac MRI, and left/right cardiac cath. That's all outpatient stuff -- unless the cath results in placement of stents, balloon angioplasty, or CABG.

That hospital's kitchen makes the best darned omelets. Is it wrong of me to foster a small hope for an overnight stay so I can avail myself of them? (They let me have all I want!)

Nice talking with you.