Re: Recommendations for a AMD64 Jessie xfce/kde cd

On 02/08/2015 08:45 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
On 02/08/2015 08:45 AM, Georgi Naplatanov wrote:

If somehow Jessie installer doesn't work for you, you can install Wheezy
and the upgrade OS to Jessie.
   If Jessie won't install, "doesn't work for you" use Ubuntu or Mint.

Going from Wheezy to Jessie is like upgrading Ubuntu 8.04 to Ubuntu
14.04. Something will sure as hell break. And it will save everyone here
from hearing someone cry about it, thread after thread after thread. :/ Ric

Golly, I hate to poke a hornet's nest. But you seem to project a lot of apprehension about the Wheezy-to-Jessie transition. This is hardly the first time you've expressed this antipathy on this list. Maybe I've over-reading? If so, I apologize.

But, in the interest of providing an alternative opinion, let me outline my recent experience with Wheezy-to-Jessie upgrades.

Over the past couple of weeks -- doing due diligence for others who depend upon me for information and support -- I've done three installations of Jessie by upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie.

Note: I've always done my Debian testing installations for my personal machines from weekly or beta or release candidate images, but I decided to use the stable-installation-followed-by-dist-upgrade-to-testing approach this time because I understand that there are some pretty sharp folks around here who prefer to install testing by this method. What I saw this time around has made me think that they may have a point.

Two of the machines were fresh installations of Wheezy with a subsequent dist-upgrade to Jessie.

On one of these I deliberately set the system up so that it would NOT switch init systems automatically at any time during the upgrade process. The upgrade was without problems, and I then switched to using systemd-sysv on that system with manual intervention via aptitude (interactive interface). Again, no problems with that part of the process.

The other fresh Wheezy installation was allowed to proceed without the shim installation, and it, too, went without any adverse issues.

The third system was an old, old, old Wheezy system which had been through the previous distribution upgrades Etch - Lenny - Wheezy which I upgraded this time with the shim in place and then a switchover to the systemd init system. No problems other than minor interventions via aptitude's interactive interface after the dist-upgrade were required. And that puppy had been USED.

The provisos here are that the systems used no non-Debian repos and no manual installations of third party software, and that I was using Xfce as the DE with a fairly trim set of installed applications -- less than 2000 packages total on the most heavily configured system.

I know that my experience hardly proves that Wheezy-to-Jessie upgrades are guaranteed to be completely trouble-free. However, I have a hard time thinking that my off-the-cuff upgrades (without so much as any previous RTFM effort) don't at least indicate that the upgrade process isn't a really perilous one -- even this early in the freeze.

I feel really certain that people who are used to using either testing or Sid can handle the upgrade at present without breaking a sweat. And I imagine that -- by the time the Jessie release is ready -- this dist-upgrade will present no more of an issue to regular users of stable than previous dist-upgrades.

Certainly there will be corner cases where folks get bitten -- especially if they've done a lot of customization of the old init system before doing the upgrade. But I imagine most folks will just hit the buttons and go on about their business.

Or maybe I'm just unbelievably lucky. My wife says so.

;-)