Re: FLAC playback in Iceweasel

On 02/08/2015 04:47 AM, August Karlstrom wrote:
On 2015-02-08 07:30, Bob Proulx wrote:
August Karlstrom wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a package in Debian Wheezy that provides
playback of FLAC files in Iceweasel? On the page
http://hpr.dogphilosophy.net/test/ all clips work for me except the last
one.

As far as I know there isn't one.  That doesn't mean one doesn't
exist.  It just means I have the same result that you have.  All of
the formats play except for flac.

I have never seen flac used on the net before.  So I don't think there
is much itch to have that working.  Of course there will be support
for mp3 but I am happy to see support for ogg, weba, and opus.  Native
audio in HTML5 is an order of magnitude easier to deal with than in
previous versions requiring Flash or Javascript players.

OK, thanks for the input Bob. I mainly wanted to know if I had missed to
install some package from the repositories.

There are a bunch of flac packages, doing a search in synaptic. Some are libs and some are noted as "tools". Here's the flac package notes:

"FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec. Grossly oversimplified, FLAC is
similar to MP3, but lossless.  The FLAC project consists of:

 * The stream format
 * libFLAC, which implements a reference encoder, stream decoder, and file
   decoder
* flac, which is a command-line wrapper around libFLAC to encode and decode
   .flac files
 * Input plugins for various music players (Winamp, XMMS, and more in the
   works)

This package contains the command-line tools flac (used for encoding and
decoding FLACs) and metaflac (used for manipulating FLAC metadata.

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html