Re: I screwed up gdm3, can't recover

On 02/07/2015 09:31 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:

So now when people say gdm3 doesn't start I wonder if it really means
that X isn't starting?  Maybe.

Bob, I just had that happen to me. It failed to start lightdm. so in text mode, as logged in root user, I re-installed lightdm :
apt-get install --reinstall lightdm
Then I got an error that there was a syntax error in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
I copied a back up over it and rebooted. Worked, after grinding gears for a bit. I just had to wait longer than usual, but I heard the drive seeking so I just waited. Then my desktop came back. Whew! Maybe you could do the same and re-install gdm?? Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html