Re: I screwed up gdm3, can't recover

Ric Moore wrote:
> Bob, I just had that happen to me. It failed to start lightdm. so in text
> mode, as logged in root user, I re-installed lightdm :
> apt-get install --reinstall lightdm

Why is everyone having troubles with X all of a sudden?

> Then I got an error that there was a syntax error in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

What modified that file and gave it a syntax error?  Did you edit it
for some reason?

> I copied a back up over it and rebooted. Worked, after grinding gears for a
> bit.

Yay for backups! :-)

> I just had to wait longer than usual, but I heard the drive seeking
> so I just waited. Then my desktop came back. Whew!

Remember that there are two (at least) parts.  One is the X server.
That is started by lightdm, xdm, the *dm programs.  After X starts up
then the desktop starts.  If there is an error in either then of
course it doesn't work.

> Maybe you could do the same and re-install gdm?? Ric

I think you must have confused me with another.  I am not having any X
problems.

Bob