Re: missing segfault messages

Darac Marjal wrote:
> Check that the journald is running. My understanding of kernel logging
> is that the kernel writes messages into a ring buffer. Some program is
> expected to monitor that ring buffer and then record the messages as the
> user desires (to a file, across the network etc). In the olden days,
> this program was syslogd, but nowadays journald is the one to read the
> messages and one of the actions it takes is to forward on to syslog (so
> that existing logging actions remain). However, if the journald is
> stopped, then as far as the syslogd is concerned, there aren't any new
> kernel messages being logged.

  running with or without systemd makes no difference
(systemd-journald was running when i boot using systemd)

  i've tried all sorts of things to get back to working
but nothing has made any difference yet.  i've reverted
kernel versions, libc, systemd, dbus, completely removed
systemd, removed rsyslog.  and and when i say removed
that means i've also purged the configuration files in
/etc.

  ah, well, i'll keep digging, looks like the bash
version has changed.

 a while ago i was looking for a program that would
allow me to copy partition images and restore them --
now i wish i had been a little more persistent in
that search...  :)

  songbird