Re: 3rd new wheezy install

On Thursday, February 05, 2015 12:48:19 PM Renaud  OLGIATI wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 11:34:18 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > > What do you mean here? How can you have 15 yr old data on a newly
> > > installed system?
> >
> > The failing drive can still be read. Some of this data has now been on
> > 10+ drives in the life of my use of linux, since 1998 TBE.
>
> This is why , having been bit once, follow the procedure for new
> installations:
>
> - Have the /home directory on a separate physical unit

The installer WILL NOT ALLOW that.  But guess what?  The redhat 5.0 installer
did allow that in 1998.  This is progress? General Electric style, but you all
are too young to recall those advertisements.

> - Physically disconnect said unit during the install.
> - Reconnect after the install has  been done  without problem, adding the
> relevant line to /etc/fstab.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ron.

If amd when I get this install running right, I will rsync my /home and /opt
trees to another identical drive. And then mount those two partitions over
these directories.

But I still have moninally 7Gb of old email to be imported into kmail, which I
have setup a separate local account called /var/mail/import and by shutting
down fetchmail for a while, I can move the old mailfile style files to
/var/mail/import, then tell kmail to go check for mail.  That worked rather
nicely for a 2.5Gb mailfile, and I have 2 others in the 4Gb and nearly 6Gb yet
to "import"

That /home and /opt drive has been laying on the table cold for a week now.
Another identical drive to this one in use now. All prepared and mke2fs'd by
gparted by the time I am ready to  do that.

But I'll have to go get another drive & put a simple install on it so I can
boot from it, mount this drive and blow away both the /home and /opt contents
just to recover the space.  And to fix the /etc/fstab on this drive to mount
the 2nd drives two partitions.

There are more than 9 ways to skin a cat WHEN you have a working  system.  But
at install time you are 100% at the mercy of the installer.

Cheers, Gene