Re: 3rd new wheezy install

On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 11:34:18 -0500
Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:

> > What do you mean here? How can you have 15 yr old data on a newly
> > installed system?
> The failing drive can still be read. Some of this data has now been on 10+
> drives in the life of my use of linux, since 1998 TBE.

This is why , having been bit once, follow the procedure for new installations:

- Have the /home directory on a separate physical unit.
- Physically disconnect said unit during the install.
- Reconnect after the install has  been done  without problem, adding the relevant line to /etc/fstab.

Cheers,

Ron.
--
       Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.
                                                         -- Niels Bohr