Re: GRUB legal disclaimers before the menu

On 2/3/15, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:

> Try putting a disclaimer inside the menuentry, i.e.
>
> menuentry "<legal_goes_here>" {
> 	echo 'You shouldn't be here'
> }

Reco's suggestion was what came to mind to me. I've "played" with
creating custom entries for my GRUB. Accomplished it via
/etc/grub.d/40_custom.

If you go that route, you'll see something like the following as a default:

"#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above."

Leave that so you remember not to touch it. Directly below it, try
copying an entire entry from /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Find one from the
middle'ish on down that looks familiar to you, that is recognizable so
you can note the differences as you play with it.

Copy the familiar entry from where it says "menuentry" all the way
through to its respective closing "}". You'll need all of it. For now,
just alter your echo message until you get the hang of it.

A quick CTRL+F of your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file MIGHT show you a
pre-existing example of placement but your needs will be different. It
sounds like you're wanting yours to be immediate where the others
appear a tiny bit deeper into the very quick boot process based on
what I'm seeing in my system specific file.

With the /etc/grub.d/40_custom and related files, your *custom*
changes stay put. If you just alter the /boot/grub/grub.cfg which can
be an option, those changes *disappear*, are replaced the next time
you update grub.

Which, by the way, is what you need to do lastly after creating your
custom changes, or those changes won't appear at boot. You'll need to
update-grub to finish the process out.

The other thing it FEELS LIKE you would need is for that to be the
default. Have never had a need to do that so have no clue how to
accomplish that one with custom entries.. (yet), but surely there's a
tweak for that. :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey