XBMC/Kodi? Anybody actually using this on Debian?

I have a reasonably fresh (<1 month old) install of Debian.  Today, I
became root and did the following:

apt-get install xbmc

That completed successfully, and I then ran XBMC from the command line
in a seraparate xterm window (*not* as root).

It came up alright, but the mouse seemed to be sluggish.  So I popped
over to the XBMC "System info" tab and had a look see...

The first thing I noticed was that the version of XBMC I'd apparently
installed was 11.0 (!!)  I think it would be an understatement to say
that this version of XBMC is a bit long in the tooth now.  XBMC (now Kodi)
is up to version 14.0 now.  So, um, as Seinfeld would say "What's up with
that?"  Why is Debian still only providing 11.0?

The second thing I noticed probably explains why the mouse seemed a tad
sluggish... Both cores on my dual core system were pegged at 94-95%
utilization.

Again I ask... What's up with that?

Seems rather seriously broken to me.

My system: