initial Jessie Problems

Installation went perfectly with Jessie CD #1 on new sata harddrive in
an old HP desktop, Then

Plugged in a usbstick. Registered as sdf  ??? Edited fstab accordingly
but mount failed.

After successfully running several programs I rebooted the system, the
splash screen appeared briefly then a console message decompressing
Linux, more messages then a start program running for 1 minute 30
seconds, more messages then control-D for maintenance.

The problem may be some HP bios problem.  The HP desktop came with
Windows installed and a HP backup program.  I removed the original
harddrives but there was a special F key to reboot after the blue screen
of death.

Frustrating after a flawless installation successfully rebooted the
system and several programs ran perfectly.

Any suggestions?