Re: Can't get sound to work

On Saturday 17 January 2015 21:41:38, Ric Moore wrote :
> On 01/17/2015 07:29 AM, Frédéric Marchal wrote:
> > My problem is now solved. I unfortunately can't provide a full scientific
> > analysis of what happened. I list every clue that might help anybody else
> > facing the same problem.
>
> All you had to do was to mute the HDMI stuff to make it easier on alsa.

How do I mute HDMI to make it easier on alsa?

Isn't alsa reporting every sound device found at the hardware level?

> More features, more choices. HDMI wasn't even an option until a few
> years ago. Welcome to the new Linux! <cackles>

The audio system is still highly unstable according to my experience.

KDE complains that the audio hardware changes nearly at every boot. It reminds
me that it doesn't complain now that I take care of closing amarok before
shutting down the computer. I don't know if it is related.

The KDE Audio mixer content changes every couple of month too but I haven't
found what is the package whose update is responsible for those changes. At
this time, the "Playback devices" tab contains one slider for HDMI and one for
Analog stereo. There used to be more sliders for the various sources such as
the microphone. The mixer also used to have a menu to select the channels to
hide or show. It doesn't any more.

As I don't use sound much, a lot usually happen on this computer before I
notice a change or a failure with the sound system. And even more time pass
before I care enough to investigate thoroughly :-)

> I betcha you have only one jack, that is supposed to autoswitch between
> audio-out and headphone-out. There is a huge difference. You still
> haven't replied to where your headphone is plugged in, what type, etc.

I have no headphone nor external speaker so I can't test it. My only sound
output is the laptop internal speaker.

Frederic