Re: Can't get sound to work

On Friday 16 January 2015 21:49:37, Ric Moore wrote :
> On 01/16/2015 05:53 AM, Frédéric Marchal wrote:
> >>
> >> So the advice is to have alsa and pulseaudio?
> >
> > I haven't investigated that far. I'm just stating a fact.
> >
> > I don't know what's the purpose of pulseaudio nor what are the benefits
> > of having installed it. I don't know if it would break something to
> > remove it.
> >
> > I believe it was installed at some point as part of a routine system
> > update and may have been the cause of the sound failure in the first
> > place.
>
> Nope, as you can use alsa directly at any time, as with aplay. I think
> your old /etc/asoundrc is a leftover from upgrading from one release to
> the next to the next. I'm running on a fresh install of Jessie and have
> no /etc/asoundrc or ~/.asoundrc files at all. Maybe it's time or a fresh
> install?? To me, the problem of a live upgrade is that all of the old
> /home dotfile cruft hangs on forever. :) Ric

The initial problem, after installing wheezy, was that no sound was produced.
It was due to alsa using the HDMI device by default. I had to create
~/.asoundrc to make alsa use the correct PCH device.

That was a fresh install of wheezy on a new HP ProBook 650. There was no
asoundrc but I needed one to make alsa use the correct device.

I don't remember having seen pulseaudo after installing the system. I only
noticed it at some point after the sound stopped working. I didn't install it
on purpose. That's the reason I believe pulseaudio was pulled by a dependency
during an update and broke my (possibly unusual) sound configuration.

My problem is now solved. I unfortunately can't provide a full scientific
analysis of what happened. I list every clue that might help anybody else
facing the same problem.

Frederic