How to set up GDM3 for multihead?

Hi all,

Context: Debian Wheezy x86_64 + all available updates.

Some software i'm developing requires me to test it under multiple
desktop environments. To that end, i want to have a multihead X setup: i
want my usual i3-based desktop environment on VT7, but then have GDM3
greeters available on VT8 and VT9, accessible via Ctrl-Alt-F8 and
Ctrl-Alt-F9, which i can use to log in to other desktop environments, as
users other than myself, whilst keeping my i3 session visible on VT7.

The relevant GDM documentation:

https://help.gnome.org/admin/gdm/3.4/gdm.html

seems to me to imply that this is possible, but doesn't describe how.

After doing some Web searches, i tried modifying /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf
to include either:

[servers]
0=Standard
1=Standard
2=Standard

or

[servers]
0=Standard device=/dev/tty7
1=Standard device=/dev/tty8
2=Standard device=/dev/tty9

but neither change made GDM3 greeters available on VT8 or VT9.

(Although i also note that trying to hide a particular non-system user,
call them 'testuser', from the face browser in the greeter via:

[greeter]
# Only include selected logins in the greeter
Include = alexis
Exclude = bin,root,daemon,adm,lp,sync,shutdown,halt,mail,news,uucp,operator,nobody,nobody4,noaccess,postgres,pvm,rpm,nfsnobody,pcap,testuser

has no effect, so maybe i'm modifying the wrong config file?)

Having spent a couple of hours trying to solve this issue, i installed
KDM and discovered i can achieve the desired result with KDM with a
single line:

StaticServers=:0,:1,:2

i'm happy to use KDM as my login manager, but now i'm curious: is the
setup i want possible with GDM3?

Alexis.