Re: Disable server so it does not start on reboot (even after upgrade)?

Tony Baldwin wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > Xavi wrote:
> > > First I do:
> > >
> > > sudo update-rc.d -f apache2 remove
> > >
> > > and then, to assert the rc.d links are not recreated,
> > > I recreate them stopped in all runlevels:
> > >
> > > sudo update-rc.d apache2 stop 80 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 .

Was that associated with some previous thread?

> > Or one could just use 'disable'.

Or it could be removed.  Why have it installed if it isn't going to be
running?

  apt-get remove apache2

Personally I "purge" instead of remove but I know I have etckeeper
keeping /etc backed up along with a real off system backup too.  So I
can purge things without thinking knowing if I didn't want that I
could recover the /etc conffiles from backup.

> Couldn't you just turn apache2 off in rcconf?

If one mentions rcconf then one might as well mention chkconfig too.
Basically the same thing but perhaps more familiar to people coming
from other software distributions.

> Or did I miss something in this thread?

This thread has little context.  :-(

Bob