Re: test VMs

Bonno Bloksma wrote:
> I was thinking I could run something which Debian Install runs too
> but then later realized that probably depends on files like ssh keys
> not being present yet and only creating new keys when that is the
> case.

There isn't anything that runs later that does this in the
debian-installer.  Things are built up from nothing in place with the
settings as given by the user.

> > A very basic list of things that need to be changed are:
>
> Thanks, that is enough for now. Just going to install a machine with
> only the system tools installed, need to do some basic routing /
> firewall testing.

I think you will do fine then.

Note that there are often some lingering places where a previous
hostname persists.  Mostly those are harmless.  But they do persist.
Therefore picking a neutral hostname for the initial installation that
won't do any harm later is good.  Such as "localhost" is typical.  But
otherwise something else innocuous is good too.

For example the mdadm tool encodes the system name into arrays
constructed by the debian-installer.

  mdadm --examine /dev/sda1

Bob