Re: test VMs

Bonno Bloksma wrote:
> I want to setup a few test VMs on my VMware servers.

Fun!

> Can I simply clone a basic machine? A machine with no desktop, just
> an "empty" server.

Yes.  I do that all of the time.  Depending upon what VM system you
are using there may be a script to clone the VM and automatically
change the things like the ethernet address that need to be unique
across your network.

> Is there a script which I can use to simply "reset" machine specific
> stuff like the hostname, ssh keys, etc?

No.  It depends upon what you have installed.  Every system will be
different.  But it is easy enough to script it for your systems.  If
we knew what you had installed.

A very basic list of things that need to be changed are:

  /etc/hostname
  /etc/mailname
  /etc/hosts
  /etc/network/interfaces if static IP
  /etc/ssh/ssh_host_*key*
  /etc/postfix/main.cf if customized

Other things depend upon what you have installed.

Bob