Re: Continuing to use SysV; LTS [Re: Fwd: Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?]

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 09:45:53 Jerry Stuckle wrote:

> On 12/31/2014 4:20 AM, Mart van de Wege wrote:

> > Jerry Stuckle <stucklejerry@gmail.com> writes:

> >> That's a great idea. Who's going to pay these people - you?

> > Simply mirroring the question is not an answer.

> > Don is right; what have you done for Debian that they should be obliged

> > to maintain the distro in ways you want?

> > If you want something, the answer is always the same in Free Software:

> > either do the work yourself or pay for it. No-one is obliged to do

> > things to your liking without some consideration coming from your end.

> > Mart

> Mart,

> I've never said anyone should be obliged to maintain Debian the way I

> want. I said the way they are going is not acceptable, so my clients

> are changing distributions. Period.

> It's you and others who have demanded people spend money they don't have.

> If you want them to help Debian, then are you going to pay for it to

> happen? If not, who (besides my clients) is going to pay?

> When you can answer that, I can answer your question.

> Jerry

This is the problem with Linux, folks use it to make money and feel no obligation to contribute to it. Even if they do not contribute development time, they could budget an annual donation to the Linux Foundation, Debian or whatever distribution they use.

Linux developers eat too. They would be paying a license fee if they were using MS or a commercial Unix.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

--

Mike McGinn KD2CNU

Be happy that brainfarts don't smell.

No electrons were harmed in sending this message, some were inconvenienced.

** Registered Linux User 377849