Re: Continuing to use SysV; LTS [Re: Fwd: Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?]

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 7:49 AM, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2014, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>> The people there have enough to do at work, and like to have a life
>> outside of work. Believer it or not, not everyone is capable (or
>> interested) in spending their life working on Linux.
>
> If Debian is important to their business, then they should hire people
> to work on the bits of Debian that matter to them.

I have to admit, this is a thought that has been on my mind lately.

> Pretty much everyone
> who is serious about using Debian in production does this.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's exactly true, for some defintions
of "serious".

Lots of companies think they are serious about using Linux, but not
feeding their profits back upstream.

On the contrary, they tend to be trying to use the (imaginary, but
much touted) cost differential as a competitive wedge, pushing down
their profits and squeezing the market. Killing the goose that laid
the golden egg.

Not facing up to the freedom vs. zero (initial) cost dillemma. Not
really serious even though they are seriously thinking they are
serious.

(Yeah, I'm sort of looking at myself in the mirror, as an individual.
I don't contribute as much as I should because it has been too easy to
get distracted, playing with all the zero initial cost stuff.)

> If they (or anyone else) is interested in doing this, there are numerous
> people who could be hired straight off of the consultants list. If they
> (or anyone else) is having a hard time finding contributors to fund,
> contact leader@debian.org.
>
>> And they are concerned enough with the way Debian is moving to make
>> the investment in switching. Better to do it now, when they have time,
>> than later when they find out they have to switch quickly.
>
> If they have already decided to switch, then they should start
> contributing to whatever distribution they're going to switch to.

And I'm thinking that, if more of the people who think they are
serious about FOSS had been taking the duties of freedom more
seriously, the systemd debacle might have been avoided. (By making
more work generalizing the several init approaches publically
available, and by making the inits more interchangeable, more
manageable by people who don't have time to learn shell scripting --
although managers scared of learning programming languages is yet
another manifestation of the problem.)

I'm moving to openbsd partly to make sure I start contributing. (Also
because I see too many devs in the debian community who either don't
want to learn programming or whose ideas about programming are
diametrically opposed to what I think is my experience.)

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well.