Re: Continuing to use SysV; LTS [Re: Fwd: Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?]

On 12/30/2014 9:45 AM, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2014, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>> I should also add - that's why they are looking at other distros now.
>> They are planning to stay on Wheezy as long as possible. It will
>> probably take two years for them to get another distro ready for
>> production.
>
> If switching to systemd is their main concern, then they can just stay
> with SysV for jessie. They should probably also consider contributing
> developer time (or your time) to the continued support of SysV in
> jessie+1 (and beyond.)
>
> If they want to stick with wheezy for other reasons, they should help
> make squeeze LTS a success so people are more likely to also contribute
> to wheezy LTS when it is inevitably EOLed by the stable security team.
>
> If it's something else that bothers them, the way to influence Debian is
> to do the work.

Don, that's a good, but impractical idea.  The people there have enough
to do at work, and like to have a life outside of work.  Believer it or
not, not everyone is capable (or interested) in spending their life
working on Linux.

And they are concerned enough with the way Debian is moving to make the
investment in switching.  Better to do it now, when they have time, than
later when they find out they have to switch quickly.

Jerry