Re: Continuing to use SysV; LTS [Re: Fwd: Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?]

On 12/30/2014 at 09:45 AM, Don Armstrong wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2014, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>
>> I should also add - that's why they are looking at other distros
>> now. They are planning to stay on Wheezy as long as possible. It
>> will probably take two years for them to get another distro ready
>> for production.
>
> If switching to systemd is their main concern, then they can just
> stay with SysV for jessie. They should probably also consider
> contributing developer time (or your time) to the continued support
> of SysV in jessie+1 (and beyond.)

Take care about what configuration to use in sticking with sysvinit in
jessie, though. I run two main Debian systems; on one of them I've
installed sysvinit-core+systemd-shim and removed systemd-the-package
(and all reverse dependencies, of course), and on the other I've
installed sysvinit-core+systemd-shim and left libpam-systemd (and all
dependencies) in place - and I have seen behavior changes in at least
the latter case. (I think I've seen some changes in both cases, but I've
changed the installed-package configuration on the former machine since
then, so I can't swear those changes are still present.)

Just yesterday, I rebooted the computer with libpam-systemd present (and
thus systemd-logind active) for the first time since the switch, and
I've already noted two particular behavior changes which I find
bothersome:

* When I launch X from tty1 with 'startx', it now appears to run on tty1
itself instead of on the more traditional tty7 - which has the practical
effect that it's no longer possible to kill X by shifting to tty1 and
hitting Ctrl-C, which is an emergency break-out measure I've found
necessary or at least convenient in the past. There are probably ways to
reconfigure things to prevent this behavior change (I think I've seen
such mentioned here on-list in the past), but that is the behavior which
seems to result from the default configuration.

* When I boot to the text console to log in, there are messages from
logind printed prior to login which clutter the console (and step all
over the actual login prompt), and more printed after hitting Enter on
the password prompt to actually log in. If there are ways to prevent
this behavior change without muting potentially-desirable (new) logging
activity entirely, I'm not aware of them.

--
   The Wanderer