Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On 12/08/2014 at 11:25 AM, Brian wrote:

> On Mon 08 Dec 2014 at 09:40:03 -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 12/08/2014 at 09:15 AM, Brian wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, I see no "defence" ("incendiary" or otherwise) of any
>>> init system being made in this thread. What I do see is people
>>> trying to help with a solution to a problem. One by Curt is
>>> referenced above. By all means criticise it but to see something
>>> like that as some some sort "proponent" argument is not
>>> warranted.
>>
>> This thread is about complaints about not being able to interrupt
>> / abort / cancel an already-started boot-time fsck.
>
> Ok; but simply complaining doesn't get things done.
>
>> Several people in this thread (including, I think, you?) are
>> responding to those complaints by saying "It's your own fault, for
>> not doing X", rather than by saying "Yes, it's systemd's fault, for
>> not doing / letting you do Y".
>
> Sorry again; I see nothing which translates as "It's your own
> fault...".

To my eye, "You should have put in the "don't run a fsck" option at the
kernel command line, before booting" (which has been said several times
in this thread, in different ways and I think by different people) is
another way of saying "The fact that it's running a fsck at boot time is
your fault for not putting in that option before booting".

> An analogy is probably a bad idea; but here goes:
>
> The airline you had booked for travel to destination X, Cheapo Air,
> goes bust. The travel agent offers alternative routes by land, sea
> and air. Instead of saying "thank you" and accepting or not accepting
> one of the offers, she is berated for not vociferously condemning
> Cheapo Air's attitude and behaviour.

I think that's a poor analogy.

A slightly better one might be if the travel agent offered alternative
routes by land and sea, but no other air-travel options to the same
destination - and then reacted condescendingly when the traveller
insisted that they really do need air travel in this case.

--
   The Wanderer