Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On Mon 08 Dec 2014 at 10:12:55 +0100, Christian Groessler wrote:

> On 12/08/14 09:44, Curt wrote:
> >On 2014-12-08, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> >>Actually, it's *always* a surprise.  These fsck happen at long enough
> >>intervals, that I can never know if it was "4 months ago" or "7 months
> >>ago", and neither can I remember which laptop/desktop has the delay set
> >>to 172 days vs 194 days vs 98 days vs ...
> >>
> >Can't you write a small script to obviate the limitations of your human
> >memory, like this little hacker here did?
> >
> >http://nwalsh.com/hacks/mountinfo/
> >http://nwalsh.com/hacks/mountinfo/mountinfo
>

> Why don't the systemd proponents understand that someone might want to
> interrupt a running fsck? Don't scrutinize the reasons, just accept
> the fact.

Please could we stick to the technical aspects of this problem. Attempts
to apportion responsibilty rarely lead anywhere.

> After all, it's *my* computer, and *I* want to be in control of it.

Curt's link brings the number of discussable solutions to four. Here is
a fifth (which might utilise the mountinfo script):

GRUB is made aware of an impending fsck. Booting thows it into a submenu
with the choice of doing a fsck or not. You control which route to take.