Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On Sat, 6 Dec 2014 11:27:24 +0000
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> A third suggestion is to use grub's scripting to present the user with
> a choice of a fsck or not.

Another thing to consider: lets say that the system runs fsck once every 50 reboots (figure grabbed out of thin air), and that you may want to abort fsck once in 10 of the cases when fsck would be run. Remember the system cannot know before starting whether it will run fsck or not.

Means you will want to abort fsck once in 500 reboots.

The other 499 times, your proposed "user choice" will be a useless annoyance and waste of time to the user.

Better allow for the interruption of fsck to reduce the buggeration level all around.

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                  I shall pass through this world but once.
               Any good therefore that I can do, let me do now,