Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

(Quoting reordered slightly to make more what-replies-to-what sense.)

On 12/06/2014 at 06:27 AM, Brian wrote:

> On Sat 06 Dec 2014 at 10:10:05 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 06 December 2014 09:44:38 Brian wrote:

>>> His lateness and the scheduled fsck do not appear to be
>>> correlated. A technique to speed things up has been given.
>>
>> But his lateness and his desire to interrupt the fsck on that
>> particular occasion are directly causally linked.  To say "Your
>> mistake.  You should have done so and so.  You must live with the
>> consequences if you didn't." is neither very pleasant nor very
>> helpful.  As I say, most of us are human and make mistakes
>> sometimes.
>>
>> Eduardo probably usually wants fsck to run.  Just not on that
>> occasion.  So your "solution" didn't even solve the problem.
>
> In what way does having two grub entries not answer the need to have
> fsck run most of the time but not run on occasions which are deemed
> inconvenient?

In that it doesn't help when you picked the wrong grub entry, whether
because you didn't know that a possible later fsck would not be
interruptible or because you forgot that a fsck might happen or because
you forgot that the option to pick the different grub entry might be
available or because you were in too much of a hurry or because you
simply missed the "automatically boot the default option" timeout.

Both the ability to decide against doing something in advance, and the
ability to abort that thing after the fact, are useful options to have.
They address different aspects of the same need and the same problem.

Being able to decide in advance "don't fsck this time" does not in any
way make it less useful, or less reasonable, to be able to cancel a fsck
which has already started. Both options are useful, and both are
reasonable choices to have.

>>> It is evident from this thread that the ability to abort an
>>> in-progress fsck during boot may not be available yet (although
>>> the links given indicate some untested possibilities). Another
>>> suggestion would be to have a system detect an impending fsck and
>>> have it substitute a grub.cfg with "fsck.mode=skip" in it for the
>>> next boot.

> A third suggestion is to use grub's scripting to present the user
> with a choice of a fsck or not.

I am dubious about whether reliably detecting an impending fsck in this
way is practical, or maybe even possible, from the environment which is
available from that stage of the boot process.

Do you have any suggestions about a way to actually implement this?

--
   The Wanderer