Re: Installing Linux on a Mac Mini without OSX

Brian wrote:
>On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 14:51:11 +0000
>Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> You might be in luck - I'm looking into installer stuff right now and
>> I've literally just got an Intel Mac Mini like yours last night to
>> play with. To the best of my knowledge, the Mac Mini you've got *is*
>> EFI capable, but doesn't work in quite the way we'd normally expect.
>>
>> To confirm that, could you try the wheezy installer CD again for me
>> please?
>
>It hasn't come up yet in this thread, but I just noticed that the CD
>I've been using is labeled (by me) "7.0.0 i386".  I should probably get
>a more recent version.
>A related question: i386 or amd64?  Do you have a
>recommendation/preference?

Ah, that says it all, in fact - if you've been using an i386 CD then
you must have been using BIOS-mode stuff. There's no EFI support on
Debian's Wheezy i386 CDs.

I'm going to be making that work for Jessie Real Soon Now, with some
hacking planned for this weekend. In the meantime, I'd try some of the
other options people have pointed you at maybe. Sorry I can't help you
immediately. :-/

>I don't have any plans to run non-opensource software.

ACK.

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
 as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver." -- Daniel Pead