Re: Replacing systemd in Jessie

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 December 2014 07:05:09 Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > User's do contrain.  They even dictate.  Always have.  Developers
> > should, if they are samrt, be developing what customers want or
> > need. Not the other way around. That's the formula for going out of
> > business. Listening to your customers as well as your potential
> > customers is just good business.
>
> What customers??  This is open source.  Developers do not need, if
> they do not want to, to take any notice of anyone but themselves.
> They do not need customers.  This is the basic misconception.
> Developers do not need us, the users.  We need them.  This is NOT a
> business.  It will go "out of business" (having not been one in the
> first place) not if it loses all its users (who are NOT customers)
> but if it loses all its developers.

Substitute Users then.  Reasoning still applies.

That's a very arrogant attitude.  Kind of naive, too.  But yes,
developer(s) don't have to respond to what users want, but they would
be smart to do so. If you singly or as a group are developing software
for others to use, open source or not, that software benefits from user
feedback, if only for bug reports. If you are only writing for your own
use and no one else's, why distribute it at all?

Here's a truth:  If there is a need, there will be someone to fill it.